donderdag 21 februari 2019

Little fires everywhere - Celeste Ng

The photo's stirred feelings she couldn't quite frame in words, and this, she decided, must mean they were true works of art.

I really loved this book although I also can't frame my feelings in words really. 

[Spoilers]

I don't read so many books about families it seems, as it struck me this was so when reading. Well family, it is a book about the relationship between mother and children, as Mia and Bebe are single parents and the Richardsons, although there is a father, he is more or less absent as a character in the story. The one time he is there is when he contemplates he likes Izzy as she is, reminding him of his mother, but then he does not say.
A lot is not said. I think in the end the novel is about keeping secrets, and the consequences of it. Mia keeps Pearls heritage a secret, Moody does not tell his crush on Pearl to her, Mrs Richardson does not tell Izzy what happened in her early days as a baby, Trip does not tell his brother that he wants a better relationship with him and Lexie conceals her pregnancy and abortion. These darker secrets catapult the actions of everyone, without them really recognizing this. I loved the fact that for me no character in this novel was really bland or one dimensional (accept the father that is).

Geen opmerkingen: