vrijdag 4 januari 2019

The Circle - Dave Eggers

For years there was this happy time when those controlling the major internet conduits were actually decent enough people.

Maybe I've read the best book of 2019 already! The Circle has ideas about things like influencers and transparancy that were visionary. More and more people get famous being openly transparent on the net, becoming influencers, becoming a brand in themselves.

My God, Mae thought. It's heaven
This was a striking part in the story, where those in charge were thinking, kept thinking, this was heaven. They were having the believe, this is heaven, this is the best for humanity. As Mae was thinking when she had the choice of ending it, about 13.000 young people jobless, about her world, she loved, in ruins.

Besides the parable of Facegoogle, is this novel in its core a story about a very insecure young women Mae, who desperately wants security in her life, feeling secure while doing repetitive works answering surveys, something I can relate to. She desperately searches for peace in her body and mind and feels she can achieve this being transparent, she wants to be seen (by everybody) and able to see (everyone). I think this is something a lot of us feel. I rather liked Mae. She is overwhelmed by the story of the Circle, as we all are with the real life ( :) ) counterparts. Where she in the beginning is wondering 'Why did he not just ask me?', and did things without any record online whats however, she gets sucked in, having the feeling thrown at her by the Circle that everything should be a story, that should be shared, because privacy is theft.

I liked the ending, where the last person with private thoughts is Mae's friend who is in a coma, but has brain activity. They are wondering, wondering!, what she thinks. They don't know. Let's not forget, wondering is a good thing.

I was searching for answers on my own behavior online while reading this book. Am I posting because I want to, or because I like to be liked?

Geen opmerkingen: