vrijdag 29 juni 2018

Notes from a small Island - Bill Bryson

 I took this book from a Bookcrossing meeting thinking I might just buy an Interrail and go on a journey training in Britain. I not going to, why should I go and see everything in one go when I can come back several times?
This book made me come to realize in puzzlement that I have never been to Britain alone, although being a keen solotraveler, and the times I did not travel solo are countable on the fingers of one hand. And those times have been to Britain, remarkable. Maybe there is something dark about Britain, something with old stone monuments, witches circles or ancient creatures still alive in lakes. Or it might be the prospect of being in a pub alone with 100 drunk Brits, I don't know.
I have never been to Britain properly, but the first 100 pages are about places I actually have been to, and this being a book about travel through the whole of Britain, and containing 300 or so pages, you could argue I have seen one third of the country. This being Dover, London and the New forest.

The book is a bit outdated in some regards, not like the change in places in the 2000's, I would not know except for London, and possible London is odd, as Amsterdam is, changing all together 10 times before in another city lightblue navy shirt instead of dark are all the rage. But in sentences like But I had taken to tucking my trousers in my socks (tough I have yet to find anyone who can explain to me what benefits this actually confers, other than making one look serious and commited). Lime disease anyone?

The stories of Bill Bryson are identifiable from the start, where he has to camp out in something of a bus shelter and puts every piece of clothing he has on him to stay warm, his travels on the train and bus, or his awkwardness sitting alone in a restaurant at a table of four. On the other hand the book is really British. Like, Robert Maxwell who??
I have to admit I felt like stopping at some point, where I thought the book became tedious, but I'm reaching the end now, so kept along, and then came a part, on Blackpool, or on walking, I did like very much. Sometimes I was annoyed by Bill Bryson's attitude, wanting every landmark to stay in place, but yet not wanting to pay 90 p, 90p!, entrancefee. 

It will now go to another bookcrossing meeting, for new readers.

Geen opmerkingen: