maandag 18 juli 2022

Girl Gurl grrl - Kenya Hunt

 

'I wore an Afro and discovered a new face [...] it all made sense now. I fell in love with my face'. (On hair)

Influencers, Twitter, Prada, fashion, the Ariana Grande concert, opening night of a movie with celebs, working in four or five different countries, this is a world so far beyond me, that I had a dificult time connecting to it in any form or way.

There are parts I liked. The beginning, about the coronacrisis. The chapter Motherhood, about the births of her children, her miscarriages and her abortion, which was a really touching story.

Kenya finds herself when she escaped the US and got a job in London. On the other hand Freddie Harrel found quiet in her blackness when she got in touch with other black people in America. Experiences can differ greatly from their own perspective.

I did get a part for myself from this book, from the essay Lost about the death of a brother, the writer says 'we were so proud of him for creating a good and kind life despite his struggles with mental health.' Something to write down for myself and remember.

Geen opmerkingen: