donderdag 17 oktober 2019

The promise -Chaim Potok

that's what life was all about, the way we cheat and hurt each other and still try to live together somehow.

I don't know quite how to rate this book. I loved the writing prose and the characters. I liked to read about them, be with them while reading. I loved the description of Brooklyn in the beginning chapter of the book, the brownstone houses, the trees, the hydrageans flowering.
The jewish chassidic tradition is one that is far from me. As Ruth Gordon who can't understand her daughter falling in love with a hassidic man. Abraham Gordon said quietly, "that Rachel is attracted to Daniel's God, and Daniel attracted to Rachel's twentieth century."
" It is inconceivable to me that Rachel finds anything sensible in Daniel's God."
I always have trouble with psychotherapy in books, especially if treatment ends up like in this story. It seems that the deeply Orthodox teacher Rav Kalman is the only one who sees it for what it is.

Geen opmerkingen: