donderdag 28 december 2017

Beloved - Toni Morrison

This is a thought provoking novel. The language is very beautiful and every sentence needs attention to be read. I am also glad I have to admit, that the novel is finished. It makes me feel the deepest of uneasiness I can feel, horrified at times, not only because of the horrific action all protagonist encounter, but also because the total loss of self, beaten out of them by slavery. This is also a ghost story, and interesting as a ghost story is the total acceptance of the supernatural things that seem to occur. This made it impossible for me to dismiss anything, or step out of the novel for reassurance of any kind.
What Toni Morrison says about the influence of slavery on people and communities makes you think about it in other ways, like the ghost of slavery that is still around us, and is not yet healed.

Geen opmerkingen: